© Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Town Beach is a sandy beach that looks north from Hugh Town onto St Mary's Pool, a large, natural bay, which serves as a harbour for many small fishing boats and yachts. The granite pier at the western end serves as the main ferry port for the Isles of Scilly.
At low tide, there is a wide crescent of sand, and the eastern end of the beach, below the lifeboat house, is relatively empty and the best place to stop, relax and watch the harbour at work. It is a good spot to paddle in the water or to beachcomb along the sandy shoreline. As the tide comes in, the strip of sand disappears altogether.
The beach is right by the centre of Hugh Town, the largest town and administrative centre of the Isles of Scilly, so there are plenty of facilities to cater for tourist right next to the beach.
Type of beach
Dogs friendly beach?
We do not have information on this beach but restrictions may apply (usually from Easter until the end of Summer)
OS grid ref.
SV 9028 1060
Submit a correction