Old Town Bay
Old Town Bay lies on the southern coast of St Mary’s- the largest of the Isles of Scilly. The crescent-shaped beach, which is seldom busy, lies in a very sheltered position being flanked by Tolman Point and Penninis Head.
This south-facing beach is a mixture of sand and rocks. At low tide a large area of the bay is exposed and rockpooling is popular here. Behind the beach are a few houses and to the east, St Mary’s airport can be seen. From Old Town Road, steps and a slipway provide access to the beach.
Adjacent to the beach is the tiny village of Old Town, which in medieval times was the main harbour and administrative base for the whole of the Scillies. More recently it was the home of former British Prime Minister, Sir Harold Wilson.
Today the village has one shop, a pub, and a couple of cafes and craft shops. St Mary’s Church, with its sub-tropical churchyard is worth a visit.
Type of beach
Sand & rock
Dogs friendly beach?
We do not have information on this beach but restrictions may apply (usually from Easter until the end of Summer)
- Diving & snorkelling
- Good fishing
- Rock pooling
OS grid ref.
SV 9125 1018
Submit a correction