© John Dawes and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The lovely little village of Craster is known for its smoked kippers, art galleries and bracing coastal walks. In the first few years of the 20th century, this was a centre for herring fishing and the smoked kippers from the area were once exported throughout Europe. Today only one smokehouse remains.
The harbour we see today was built by the Craster family partly in commemoration of Captain John Caster who died in a Tibetan campaign in 1906. There is a pier either side of the harbour, in which a small number of fishing boats are usually moored. During the summer months, fishing trips can be organised from the harbour.
A very small, sandy beach lies within the harbour and there are rock and shingle beaches to either side. Walking along the shoreline it is sometimes possible to spot seals, eider ducks and a variety of waders and other birds.
Visitors to Caster can park in the car park behind the Tourist Office. Be warned that you are very likely to get a ticket for parking outside the designated parking bays. There are toilets at the car park.
The area is home to a number of scenic coastal walks. One popular walk is to head northwards to the ruins of romantic Dunstanburgh Castle. Here, the big sky, rocks and ruins so close to the untamed sea, make a striking picture. The ruins are amongst the most photographed in the country, and it’s easy to see why. It is not possible to access the castle by car.
Entrance to the ruins is free to National Trust members.