Fisherrow - East Beach
© james denham and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The historic former fishing village of Musselburgh is a short distance east of Edinburgh city centre. The town has two beaches which lie on either side of the tidal harbour. One of these, Fisherrow East Beach, stretches from the harbour to the mouth of the River Esk, and has views over the Firth of Forth, which is a Site of Special Scientific Interest, being rich in birdlife.
The sandy beach here is backed by buildings and dunes, and moving away from the harbour, has a less urban feel to it than Fisherrow West Beach.
The area is popular with walkers, and the 134-mile long John Muir long distance path, linking Helensburgh to Dunbar, passes alongside the beach.
Just beyond the beach is a golf course which dates back to 1672 (quite possibly the oldest of its kind in the world) and a historic racecourse.
Parking, toilets and cafes can be found adjacent to the harbour.