Cramond Beach is located just to the north of the historic village of Cramond, today an outer suburb of Edinburgh, about 5 miles west of the city centre. The beach is situated on the estuary of the River Almond, just to the west of the beach. At low tide the beach is vast and it is even possible to walk out to Cramond Island along the causeway, however, it is not possible to return at high tide, so it is important to check the tide tables if planning a trip to the island.
There is a large car park just above the beach, along with toilets and a quaint pub. The beach is accessed down a short path, which crosses a small field that backs the beach. There is also a promenade behind the beach which is popular for dog walkers and cyclists, with excellent views out over the Forth.
Cramond is one of the earliest known sites of human habitation in Scotland, with evidence of a settlement from around 8500 BC. For a short time, there was a Roman fort on the site as well. During the Middle Ages it was a fishing village, which grew over the years to become a desirable Edinburgh suburb in the 19th Century.
Type of beach
Dogs friendly beach?
Dogs are allowed all year
- Town centre nearby
- Pub nearby
OS grid ref.
NT 1922 7712
Two car parks available by the beach.
Submit a correction
Cramond Beach Reviews
Dog dirt and rubbish in the sand dunes. Car park is just rough ground with dark narrow steps to beach.