Inganess Bay (Sand of Wideford)
Located just a few minutes walk from Kirkwall airport on Orkney is Inganess Bay. Tucked away in the southwest corner of the bay is a small sandy beach which is sometimes referred to as the Sand of Wideford.
The beach here is pleasant enough, but on the whole not that remarkable by Orkney standards. However it does have one unmissable feature; just over 100 metres offshore is the rusting hulk of a large ship.
The ship is known as the Juniata, although there is some debate as to whether it is actually this ship. Whatever the case, the wreck dates back to the Second World War when it was sunk offshore as a “blockship”. These were old ships scuttled to prevent U-boats from entering the natural harbours between the islands.
The ship wasn’t sunk here but was but was being towed for salvage in 1949. However, the ship wasn’t in good enough condition to make it anywhere and was beached at Inganess.
Beyond the focal point of the Juniata the beach here is a popular spot for all the usual Orkney activities; birdwatching, bracing walks and letting the dog off the lead.
The beach also sits under the flight path of many of the inter-island planes so there’s always something going on.
Also known as:
Sand of Wideford
Type of beach
Sand and shingle
Dogs friendly beach?
OS grid ref.
HY 4751 0876
Submit a correction