© Alexander P Kapp and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Berwick-Upon-Tweed has a sandy beach which lies to the north of the mouth of the River Tweed. The river mouth is separated from the beach by a long pier which has a lighthouse at the end overlooking the beach and surrounding area.
The beach leads on to the Berwickshire Coastal Path. From here it is possible to walk along the coast across the border to Scotland and towards St Abbs and Coldingham.
In the town of Berwick there are plenty of facilities such as pubs, restaurants and shops. There is also a railway station about a mile from the beach and the town has plenty of bus connections as well. Berwick-Upon-Tweed is steeped in history, having changed hands between the English and Scottish countless times before the Act of Union in 1707. As a result it is not surprising there are a number of fortifications here, such as medieval town walls with the section overlooking the beach known as King's Mount.
There is a car park near the end of the pier with direct access down to the beach where fishing and walking are the most popular activities. To the north of the beach there is another small car park in between Magdalene Fields golf club and the holiday park where public toilets can be found. From here there is a fairly steep path down to the beach.
Dogs are allowed all year round.
Type of beach
Dogs friendly beach?
- Town centre nearby
OS grid ref.
NU 0071 5274
Submit a correction